Survey Trip- Update 1

It seemed like it took us forever just to get out of the states- 12 hours of flights and layovers! The 10 flight over to Accra, Ghana seemed quick because we slept almost the entire way. We were able to get through customs very easily. Customs agent #11 opened one bag, glanced at the top and sent us on our way. Maybe he didn't notice our 5 other bags! Bea Ward and Sheree, a friend from Chattanooga picked us up from the airport and took us to eat lunch at a small outdoor cafe. Here's a picture of me with airplane hair.

That evening we were able to talk to Alyssa on the phone. It wasn't a good call. Cyrus refused the bottle up till the day we left and still would not accept it. It was hard enough being away from the boys for 2 weeks, much less having to think about their health. There was a little talk of dehydration and the possibility I'd have to go back early. That first night was a rough one. Eventually, it took about 36 hours before Cyrus ate anything voluntarily.

The next morning Sheree took us north on a long bumpy drive through Ghana to Ho. We checked out at a new resort on Lake Volta and took some pictures. Andrew and Bea posed in front of a cool looking hut.

At lunchtime, we met the Jungs, a couple who work with Bible training and evangelism, and then Jim Jung took us to the border crossing into Togo. Harry Ward met us at the border. The emmigration leaving Ghana was easy.

It took at least 15 minutes on a very bad road to get to the Togo customs shack (it was the size of a small fruit-stand). The paperwork only took a few minutes to fill out. Then we had to wait a while because there was a new soldier being trained on entry visas.

Togo isn't as hot as I expected, but if you stand in the direct sunlight for a few minutes you start to feel the heat. The Harmattan winds bring a cool breeze, but also a lot of dust. We've been taking showers at night because it's so hard to go to sleep feeling dirty!

Last night we met all the missionaries who live on the hospital compound and some who live in Kpalime at the blind center. Andrew kept hearing "how you've changed!" and "I remember when. . " As for jet-lag, we seem to be doing okay, but Andrew woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep for two hours.

Today Harry Ward gave us a tour of the hospital. There were 3 very premature babies in the first room we visited. It was sad to see how small they were. Harry said there is no place in Togo where neonatal care is offered so the ABWE hospital is the only hope they have.

So far we haven't had any real Togolese food. Harry and Bea have promised that we won't find any at their house. We'll have to pick some up at the market later.