Resurrection day in Kpalimé, Togo


We had a busy week preparing for Resurrection day here in Kpalimé. The week before, we bought a sheep to use for 2 Christian Passover dinners we were having at our home. On Wednesday Mr. Wakou slaughtered it for us while I was at a meeting in Lomé. As soon as I got back from Lomé that afternoon, I realized I was sick, starting with a massive head ache and nausea. Thursday, we had planned to host a large Christian Passover celebration with 3 Togolese families, but I was far too sick to handle it. So Mary hosted a smaller dinner with Afi and her children.

By Saturday, I was well enough to lead a meal where we invited our Togolese partner Roger, his family, many missionaries, and MKs. The kids told parts of the exodus story of how God rescued His people from slavery in Egypt. Then I talked about the lamb, unleavened bread, and the bitter herbs showing their relation to Christ; all the while asking the kids questions. Finally, I read I Cor. 5:7-8 and talked about how we ought to live and relate to each other as Christians because Jesus is our perfect Passover sacrifice.

Then Sunday morning I read the resurrection story to Manny and Cyrus from the Gospel of John before we went to the church at Kpegolonou. We sang many songs in Ewe including Low in the grave he lay… Up from the grave He arose. We sang each verse slowly and softly, then sang each chorus triumphantly!


Later that afternoon I went with a group of musicians from Kpegolonou to deliver food to orphans in another church that is situated in a more Muslim part of town, Kpogandzi. This is a church where we gave a some musical instruments a few months ago. There are several children in that church whose families are in difficult financial situations because they have lost their father or both parents. We are thankful that God put is in a position to help them. Before we gave out the food, the head deacon of the church gave the gospel to ever one there, telling them how Jesus died and rose again and that salvation is found in Him alone.

Popular Posts